Philosophy relates to the study of, and attempts to understand, the root nature of reality, existence, and knowledge. There are many questions in life for which there are no set answers, or such diverging opinions on answers that just raise more questions. Here are 65 deep philosophical questions for you to ponder. Meditation is often useful in helping people to search inside for their own answers and meanings.
1. Is it worse to fail at something or never attempt it in the first place?
2. If you could choose just one thing to change about the world, what would it be?
3. To what extent do you shape your own destiny, and how much is down to fate?
4. Does nature shape our personalities more than nurture?
5. Should people care more about doing the right thing, or doing things right?
6. What one piece of advice would you offer to a newborn infant?
7. Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
8. What is true happiness?
9. What things hold you back from doing the things that you really want to?
10. What makes you, you?
11. What is the truth?
12. What is reality?
13. Do you make your own decisions, or let others make them for you?
14. What makes a good friend?
15. Why do people fear losing things that they do not even have yet?
16. Who defines good and evil?
17. What is the difference between living and being alive?
18. Is a “wrong” act okay if nobody ever knows about it?
19. Who decides what morality is?
20. How do you know that your experience of consciousness is the same as other people’s experience of consciousness?
21. What is true strength?
22. What is true love?
23. Is a family still relevant in the modern world?
24. What role does honour play in today’s society?
25. If money cannot buy happiness, can you ever be truly happy with no money?
26. How do you know your perceptions are real?
27. How much control do you have over your life?
28. What is freedom?
29. Isn’t one person’s terrorist another person’s freedom fighter?
30. What happens after we die?
31. What defines you?
32. What do people strive for after enlightenment?
33. Do we have a soul?
34. What is intelligence?
35. How should people live their lives?
36. If lying is wrong, are white lies okay?
37. Is trust more important than love?
38. Is it easier to love or be loved?
39. Is it better to love and lose or never to love?
40. Do aliens exist?
41. The structure of DNA appears to be intelligently designed, what are the implications?
42. If everything evolved from amoebas, how does the world still have amoebas?
43. Is life all a dream?
44. When does consciousness begin?
45. What are numbers?
46. Can we have happiness without sadness?
47. How did the universe begin?
48. Is there a supreme power?
49. What is education?
50. What will happen at the end of the world?
51. Is there a reason to life?
52. Where does the soul live?
53. Is it more important to be liked or respected?
54. Does sound happen if nothing is present to hear it?
55. What is infinity?
56. Where does the universe end?
57. Does observation alter an event?
58. Does the Law of Attraction exist?
59. How does gravity work?
60. Where were people before they were born?
61. What is beauty?
62. Where do thoughts come from?
63. Is mind or matter more real?
64. What is time?
65. How can people believe in truths without evidence?
These next ten are a bit special….
66. Can You Kill 10 People To Save 100?
67. Do We Have Free Will?
68. Is There Absolute Morality?
69. Is There A Meaning Of Life?
70. What Is Mathematics?
71. Are We In The Matrix?
72. Is There An Alternative To Capitalism?
73. What Is Consciousness?
74. Is There A God?
75. Can We Really Know Anything?
You will no doubt, already have views on some of these deep philosophical questions, and may have formed quick views on others. On the remaining questions though, think them over and see what they mean to you and what you can learn from the questions themselves.