The death toll continues to rise in Italy marking a total of 9,134, according to Italy’s Civil Protection Agency. As the coronavirus pandemic continues to spread, many are taking precautions when it comes to protecting the elderly. However, recent news proves to show that age is just a number. According to Insider, “a 101-year-old Italian man has recovered from COVID-19 and his city’s deputy mayor said the story provides “hope for the future.”
Referred to as “Mr. P,” the 101-year-old has survived famine, war, and was born during one of the largest pandemics to date, the Spanish Flu. A warrior at heart, Mr. P “was released from hospital after recovering from the coronavirus,” Gloria Lisi, the deputy mayor of the Italian city of Rimini, has said.
The coronavirus has been reported to affect the elderly in more severe ways than the rest of the population. There have been increasing cases where individuals between 20 to 50 years of age have been hospitalized due to the virus.
Lisi said his “truly extraordinary” recovery gave “hope for the future.” She continues, “Mr. P made it. The family brought him home yesterday evening. To teach us that even at 101 years the future is not written.”
Successful recovery stories don’t stop here. Last week, it was reported that a 95-year-old Italian woman won against the coronavirus. Alma Clara Corsini was admitted to the Pavulo Hospital on March 5. According to Gazzetta Di Modena she did not require any anti-viral therapy.
You can follow us on Instagram HERE